Advertisement

Mailbag:

One lost cat, his family, get happy ending

January 01, 2010

During these times of widespread despair and intensifying suspicions happy endings are hard to come by.

But in our little neighborhood in Bluebird Canyon, a woeful and tragic ending, quite customary in these situations, was providentially rebuffed.

Doubtless, this was to the delight of those who caught a glimpse of this fleeting and rare episode.

The ubiquitous signage, far too common in our neighborhood, noted “Lost Cat” and “Sam” followed by “Reward” and a picture of the missing feline.

Advertisement

And the apparent care with which the signage was produced and placed suggested that this was not some mere quadruped darting underfoot, but rather a beloved family pet.

Or perhaps the sole companion of someone. Indeed, that someone’s best friend.

As the days wore on, the signs began to remind people of the canyon axiom: “Cats don’t get lost; they get taken by coyotes.”

But then the unexpected: Handwritten on a strategically located sign was “Sam Found!” “Not Eaten by Coyotes,” and the grateful “Thank you.”

We are thankful Sam and his loved one(s) were the beneficiaries of this near miracle. Naturally we hope to see more endings like this in the future.

B. PENNEY

Laguna Beach

‘Unchurched’ should be more open

Here is a New Year’s resolution for about 15% of Laguna Beach residents to consider.

There are 15% of residents who do not associate with the 19 or so faith organizations that the remaining 85% of Laguna Beach residents associate with. They are whom I call the unchurched.

For apparently unfounded reasons, they are closeted about being unchurched, concerned that that information may be socially unacceptable and jeopardize their social, career and professional relationships.

And at what cost? Being dishonest to themselves and to others, and misjudging the character of churchgoers.

Give the 85% the opportunity to do unto others as they want done unto themselves. Let them practice what they’re preached. So, 15%ers, stop living a lie and be proud of who and what you are. Anyway, if someone cannot accept the truth of who you are, you’re better off without them. “To thine own self be true.”

Remember the rallying cry of a game you played as kids, “Come out, come out, wherever you are!” I proudly did so many years ago without any problems.

NIKO THERIS

Laguna Beach

Reserve won’t give beaches to state

Coastline Pilot Articles Coastline Pilot Articles
|
|
|