Home heaters were blamed for two separate fires Tuesday, according to Laguna Beach firefighters.
The first blaze was reported at 8:26 a.m. at a two-story apartment in the 200 block of Cliff Drive. There was no one in the unit. A neighbor who heard a smoke alarm and smelled smoke called 911, according to spokesman and Fire Dept. Division Chief Dan Stefano. That fire was quickly put out by firefighters, who determined that it was caused by a floor mat and a couch sitting on top of a floor furnace vent.
Later that day, firefighters were called to a two-level home near Eighth Avenue and Ivy Lane by an occupant who was alerted by a smoke alarm. In this case, clothing placed next to an electric wall heater caught fire, Stefano said. The fire had spread to the inside of the wall before firefighters were able to stop it.