Advertisement

Man in standoff with police sentenced

March 24, 2014

A Carson man responsible for a four-hour standoff with Laguna Beach police and Orange County SWAT officers last year was sentenced to two years in state prison Wednesday, according to the Orange County district attorney's office.

Edward Ernest Uribe, 42, pleaded guilty to five felony and two misdemeanor charges related to the Feb. 6, 2013, incident at Vista Del Sol and Coast Highway.

The felony charges included possession of a firearm and ammunition by a felon, carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in public, being a convicted felon with a concealed firearm in a vehicle, and possession of a controlled substance, district attorney spokeswoman Farrah Emami wrote in an email.

Advertisement

Uribe pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count each of resisting and obstructing an officer and brandishing a firearm capable of being concealed on a person in public, Emami said.

Prosecutors dropped two felony charges, including smuggling a controlled substance into a correctional facility and making a false bomb report.

Uribe refused to get out of his Ford Mustang after a five-vehicle accident after 5 p.m. Feb. 6. Witnesses told police he had a gun.

An officer fired one round, striking the Mustang but not injuring Uribe. He then threatened to blow up the car if officers tried to pull the door open, according to a police statement at the time. Uribe remained in the car and had no further communication with police.

Nearly four hours after the initial collision, officers forced Uribe out of the car with tear gas and took him into custody.

Uribe was hospitalized for tear gas exposure but suffered no other injuries. A loaded, .22-caliber handgun was recovered from the Mustang.

—Bryce Alderton

Twitter: @AldertonBryce

Coastline Pilot Articles Coastline Pilot Articles
|
|
|