Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: Coastline Pilot HomeCollectionsPublic Access
IN THE NEWS

Public Access

NEWS
April 26, 2002
Bryce Alderton City officials concerned with flooding on Laguna Beach roads when heavy rains pour down are hoping to build an additional storm drain. Mayor Wayne Baglin met with Councilwoman Toni Iseman, City Manager Ken Frank and officials from the California Department of Transportation last week to discuss citywide projects such as storm drains and adding traffic signals, Baglin said. "I was pleased [with the meeting]," Baglin said. The city wants to add a storm drain at 6th Avenue and Coast Highway, which is expected to go before the city's Design Review Board in May, Frank said.
Advertisement
NEWS
By Barbara Diamond | October 22, 2012
One seat on the Board of Adjustment/Design Review Board is still up for grabs. The City Council on Oct. 16 appointed Monica L. Simpson and Robin Zur Schmiede to the board for terms to start Feb. 1 and run through Jan. 31, 2015. Councilman Kelly Boyd has proposed delaying the appointments and extend the application period because two incumbents who had been expected to reapply didn't. However, the council voted 3 to 2, Boyd and Councilwoman Elizabeth Pearson opposed, to proceed with the interviews.
NEWS
By Cindy Frazier | February 12, 2009
A plan by the city to place permanent lifeguard towers at more coves and beaches has sunk in rough waters. The California Coastal Commission last week upheld an appeal of the city’s permanent guard tower plan and told city officials that they would have to continue with temporary structures that would be removed during the non-summer season at Picnic, Bird Rock, Sleepy Hollow, Thalia Street and Oak Street beaches. Marine Safety officials said the permanent towers — featuring sun shades and heavy-duty steps — were necessary to fulfill OSHA requirements and keep lifeguards protected from sun and wind while they watched swimmers.
NEWS
By Barbara Diamond | September 10, 2009
City officials signed a two-year lease at the Sept. 1 council meeting with the Friends of the Hortense Miller Garden. The city acquired the Allview Terrace property through a Quitclaim deed signed by Miller in 1976 that turned the property over to the city when she died. The Friends maintained it while Miller lived there and proposed to continue to operate and maintain the property with financial assistance from the city. Miller died in 2008 at the age of 99. “A total of $40,000 is badly needed mostly to repair the house,” City Manager Ken Frank said.
NEWS
May 10, 2002
Mary A. Castillo Every morning and afternoon when Scott Thomas drives past the ranger's station on Laguna Canyon Road, he takes a quick second to admire the sycamores and oak trees he planted after the fire of 1993. Some of the sycamores are now 20-feet tall and the oaks have stretched their limbs wide. But what really makes him feel good is to see the birds come to roost in those canopies and to remember the camaraderie of his fellow volunteers who helped plant the trees.
NEWS
July 26, 2002
WEATHER TIDBITS As it turns out, June was nice and July has been the gloomy month. We got it all backward this time around. However, today is Monday and you guessed it, the sun had made an early appearance and is staying out this time! Of course the weekend was a write-off. It was total gloom and drizzle at noon on Saturday. Now it's Monday, the skies are bright blue and the water's clear and warm. So your Tidbitter just had to write this column down at his St. Ann's Beach office.
NEWS
January 12, 2007
A citizen's inquiry has again resulted in the California Coastal Commission stepping in to what many see as "local" affairs. Devora Hertz brought the issue of the relocation of four of the historic Third Street cottages elsewhere to commission staff after noticing that the city was not intending to issue a Coastal Development Permit for the proposal. Some might call this simply a delaying tactic by a critic of the senior center project, which will break ground in April on the site now occupied by the cottages.
NEWS
By Barbara Diamond | January 31, 2008
Arch Beach Heights got a better view Jan. 22. The City Council voted unanimously to proceed with plans for a view park proposed for about 50 parcels in the neighborhood, acquired during the past few years by the city for open space. “The area starts at Santa Ana Street and goes all the way to Nyes Place,” City Manager Ken Frank said. “We get great views over private properties, so we don’t need to acquire them.” The concept of a view park in Arch Beach Heights was approved by the council in August 2007 and funds were allocated to hire landscape architect Larry Steinle to prepare preliminary plans.
Coastline Pilot Articles Coastline Pilot Articles
|